5 Tips for Success in Med School

Make proper plans


I shared this picture on my quick 5 quick tips in being successful on my Instagram about a week ago. There are a lot of formulas and tips for surviving and succeeding in medical school. These are bound to change as you grow and progress in your studies, and of course there are some that you'd modify because it just doesn't work for you.
Today I'm sharing my most favorite tips that has yielded some excellent results for me, so let jump right in.


Start by having a planner. My go-to this semester has been this beautiful planner I got for Christmas from Target that I absolutely love. It is a weekly and monthly planner so I can view my month at a glance then plan week to week. The most effective way to ensure that you effectively and productively used every hour of your day. It also helps you keep track of what you've gotten accomplished and what you haven't. I'm very forgetful and it has been a great way to remember all my deadlines and such.


Once you've made that plan, STICK TO IT. If it wasn't part of your original plan, don't squeeze it in. We are all notorious of doing impromptu things that takes us away from what it is that we're suppose to be doing. The more you try to fit things in, the less you'll end up accomplish. Not going to lie its hard to stick to plans but its been worth it.


Since orientations in undergrad, they've drilled into our heads that the best way to study is to read, reread, and reread materials. Unfortunately that doesn't work for everyone and the harsh reality hits quick in med school. Imagine reading and rereading over 5 chapters per class. Who got time for that? Not I most definitely. The best way to succeed is to develop a study skill that is geared toward you and your needs. 
Are you a highlight fanatic? Then color away. 
Do you need white boards and a million different colors of markers? Go ahead and taste the rainbow
Do you need to rewrite your handwritten notes? Then so be it.

You'll soon realize that we all have different ways of retaining information and the faster you figure out what works for you, the better off you'll be. Unfortunately the amount of information you need to learn and retain is not going to reduce any time soon.


Oh goodness my least favorite. So I know back in the States, attendance in most professional schools and graduate schools are not necessarily mandatory. Well welcome to the Caribbean where you're required to attend 80% of your classes. This can be a pain because in most classes, you'll soon come to the conclusion that you learn better just reading the powerpoint as opposed to listening to lecture. However, being in class is very beneficial. There will be at least one concept that you'll hear the teacher explain that will make a lot more sense than what the Powerpoint says. 
It's even more crucial come Block exam time, most of my professors tend to mention things that are going to be on exams that was never touched on in-depth in class.


This is oh so important. Physical, mental, and emotional health is something that we all must pay very close attention to. As a medical student you tend to place everything before ourselves. However, let's think about this. How much of a good or even great doctor can you be if you're completely tired and rundown?
Find out what relaxes you. I enjoy naps and its a scheduled ritual; everyday when I get home from school. For at least an hour.
This gives my brain some time to download everything it has been bombarded with for the past 8 hours. Waking up refreshed to study and finish the rest of my day makes a world of a difference.


Let me hear from you. What tips do you have for success? Will you be trying out any of my tips?

Share:

0 comments